Reasearch and Innovation
GDF SUEZ’ success relies mainly on its ability to innovate. Improving the safety and productivity of industrial processes, reducing the environmental impact of human activities, finding innovative solutions for preserving the planet’s resources – these are GDF SUEZ’s ambitious research and innovation goals.
Innovation, a strategic GDF SUEZ mainstay
Innovation is a core value of GDF SUEZ. The Group is undertaking a major research and innovation effort with a view to:
- meeting market requirements by offering continuously improved services,
- developing technologies and services that respond to the challenges of tomorrow.
The Research and Innovation Division, GDF SUEZ’s research driver
The Research and Innovation Division defines and manages the Group’s R&I Strategy. Its goal is to be acknowledged as a world leader of R&D in new energy and environmental technologies.
It also manages:
- 5 research programs,
- 6 exploratory projects,
- a technology watch.
Key figures for 2011
- 1,100 researchers and technicians
- 9 research centers
- 3,200 patents in the portfolio
- €231 million invested in R&I
Ambitious research programs
The Research and Innovation Division manages five research programs, implemented for preparing the technologies of tomorrow:
Technology watch to remain at the cutting edge of technology
Technological watch is the process of monitoring the sector’s technology trends and consists of the following activities:
- identifying and evaluating emerging technologies,
- building technological roadmaps,
- monitoring the portfolio of key technologies and the Group’s technological expertise.
Specialized research centers
The most of the activity is undertaken in the Group’s specialized research centers (electricity, natural gas, energy efficiency, water treatment etc.).